Last Updated on June 15, 2021 by Nazmin Sarker
Beans in The Tomato Sauce
- 1 X 400g/14 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 X 400g/14 oz can Mariotti beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stick celery
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 175g/6 oz baby onions halved
- 450g/1 lb tomatoes
- 75g/2 ¾ oz rocket ( arugula)
- Drain both cans of beans and reserve 6 tbsp of the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the celery, garlic, and onions, and sauce for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden.
- Cut a cross in the base of each tomato and plunge them into a bowl of boiling water for 30 seconds until the skins split.
- Remove them with a perforated spoon and leave until cool enough to handle. Peel off the skin and chop the flesh.
- Add the tomato flesh and the reserved bean liquid to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans to the pan and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until the beans are hot.
- Stir in the rocket (arugula) and allow it to wilt slightly before serving.
- Another way to peel tomatoes is once you have cut a cross in the base, push it onto a fork and hold it over a gas flame, turning it slowly so that the skin heats evenly all over.
- The skin will start to bubble and split, and should then slide off easily.
For a spicier tasting dish, add 1-2 teaspoons of hot pepper sauce with the beans in step 4.
Cheese Casserole Bread
- Begin 4 ½ hours ahead
- 1 loaf
- 3666 cals
- Good source of calcium, iron, vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin
- 2 tablespoons sugar and salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- about 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ cups milk
- ¼ pound sharp
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 2 cups flour. In a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat milk, and cheese until very warm (120′ to130’F.). (Cheese does not need to melt).
- With a mixer at low speed, beat the liquid mixture into dry ingredients until just blended. At medium speed, beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in 1 cup flour to make a thick batter; beat 2 minutes more, scraping bowl often. Stir in enough additional flour (about 2 cups) to make a stiff dough that leaves the side of the bowl.
- Cover bowl with the towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Stir down dough; turn into greased 2-quart round, straight-sided, shallow casserole. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about minutes.
- Preheat best air fryer toaster oven to 375’F. Brush loaf with melted butter. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on the wire rack.