Beans in The Tomato Sauce Recipe
Beans in tomato sauce recipe quick and easy casserole can eat as a healthy supper dish or as a side dish to accompany sausages or grilled fish. (See details tuna stuffed tomato recipe)
Check price view on amazon product
- 1 X 400g/14 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 X 400g/14 oz can boriotti beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stick celery
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 175g/6 oz baby onions halved
- 450g/1 lb tomatoes
- 75g/2 Â¾ oz rocket ( arugula)
- Drain both cans of beans and reserve 6 tbsp of the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the celery, garlic, and onions and sauce for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden.
- Cut a cross in the base of each tomato and plunge them into a bowl of boiling water for 30 seconds until the skins split.
- Remove them with a perforated spoon and leave until cool enough to handle. Peel off the skin and chop the flesh.
- Add the tomato flesh and the reserved bean liquid to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans to the pan and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until the beans are hot.
- Stir in the rocket (arugula) and allow it to wilt slightly before serving.
- Another way to peel tomatoes is once you have cut a cross in the base, push it on to a fork and hold it over a gas flame, turning it slowly so that the skin heats evenly all over.
- The skin will start to bubble and split, and should then slide off easily.
For a spicier tasting dish, add 1-2 teaspoons of hot pepper sauce with the beans in step 4.