Creamy Tomato Soup
This quick and best creamy tomato soup recipe has a lovely fresh tomato flavor.
A first-course soup should stimulate the appetite without satisfying it, creating enthusiasm for what is to follow.
For this reason, the soup course should always be planned along with the other dishes on the menu. (See details discuss vegetable soups)
Avoid repeating flavors, textures, even colors if possible.
Gazpacho is scarcely the best prelude to the main dish dressed with tomato sauce, though its sharp, refreshing flavor may be just the right note on which to start a dinner party centered around a rich, creamy main course.
On the other hand, if the main dish is a simple roast or salad, start with rich cream soup.
Amazon Associate affiliate my earning has the best quality amount.
- 50 g/ 1 Â¾ oz/3 tbsp butter
- 700 g/1 lb 9oz ripe tomatoes, preferably plum, roughly chopped
- 850 ml/1 Â½ pints/3 Â¾ hot vegetable stock
- 150 ml/5 fl oz/2/3 cup milk or single ( light) cream
- 50 g/1 Â¾ oz/Â¼ cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp shredded basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until the skins start to wrinkle. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock to the pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, under a preheated grill (broiler), lightly toast the ground almonds until they are golden brown. This will take only 1-2 minutes, so watch them closely.
- Remove the soup from the heat and place in a food processor and blend the mixture to form a smooth consistency. Alternatively, mash the soup with a potato masher.
- Pass the soup through a sieve to remove any tomato skin or pips.
- Place the soup in the pan and return to the heat. Stir in the milk or cream, ground almonds, and sugar.
- Warm the soup through and add the shredded basil just before serving.
- Transfer the creamy tomato soup to warm soup bowls and serve hot.
- Very fine breadcrumbs can be used instead of the ground almonds if you prefer.
- Toast them in the same way as the almonds and add with the milk or cream in step 6.