Last Updated on March 12, 2022 by Nazmin Sarker
Lentil Soup Recipe
In Italy, this soup is called Mines trade Lentiche. A mines trade is a soup cooked with pasta; in this case, farfalle, a small bow-shaped variety, is used. Served with lentils, this hearty brown lentil soup is a meal in itself.
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 50 g/ 1 ¾ oz/ ¼ cup farfalle or spaghetti broken into small pieces
- 1 X 420 g/ 14 ½ oz can brown lentils, drained
- 1.2 litres/ 2 pints/ 5 cups hot ham or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh mint
- Place the bacon in a large frying pan (skillet) together with the onions, garlic, and celery.
- Dry fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until the onion is tender and the bacon is just beginning to brown.
- Add the farfalle or spaghetti pieces to the pan (skillet) and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute to coat the pasta in the oil.
- Add the lentils and the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Remove the pan (skillet) from the heat and stir in the chopped fresh mint.
- Transfer the soup to warm soup bowls and serve immediately.
If you prefer to use dried lentils, add the stock before the pasta and cook for 1-1 ¼ hours until the lentils are tender. Add the pasta and cook for a further 12-15 minutes.
Any type of pasta in a rice cooker can use in this recipe try fusilli conchiglie or rigatoni if you prefer.
German Lentil Soup
- Begin 1½ hours ahead
- 6 servings or
- 11 cups
- 312 calories per serving
- Low in cholesterol
- Good source of iron
- 4 bacon slices, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 16-ounce package of lentils
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups hot water salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or large saucepot over medium-high heat, fry bacon until lightly browned; push to side of the pan.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery, and over medium heat, cook until onions are tender about 5 minutes.
- Add ham bone, lentils, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, hot water, and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Cover; simmer over low heat for 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Remove ham bone to a cutting board and cut off any meat; cut into small pieces.
- Stir meat, lemon juice, and salt to taste in the soup.
Lentil Soup with Spinach
- 200 g (7 oz) red lentils, sifted through for stones and washed
- 1.5 liters (2½ pints) water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) olive oil
- 1 kg (2¼ lb) spinach, well washed and chopped (thick stalks removed),
- or Chinese spinach may be used as is 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed with salt
- 1 stalk celery (optional)
- small bunch coriander washed and chopped
- 125 m. (4 fl oz) lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) flour or cornflour (optional)
- Place lentils in a large saucepan with water, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Brown the onions in the oil, add spinach and garlic, mixing well. Cook slowly until spinach is soft, then add to lentils. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the flour. Let Simmer for a while longer, adding more salt and lemon juice to taste.
- If soup needs to be thickened, mix cornflour or flour with a little water. Add to soup and simmer, stirring, a few minutes longer until thickened.
- Top 25 South Indian Pork Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Provencal Soup of Fish and Vegetables
- Benefits of Doing a Juice Cleanse
Here you will find a collection of delicious all recipes tested and approved by me, Nazmin Sarker, creator of this food blog. Cooking is my passion so please follow along and share what I create!