Last Updated on October 8, 2021 by Nazmin Sarker
It happens to everyone. Suppose you are to believe those negative reviews on review sites. The pot suddenly explodes, and ceramic fragments are flying everywhere.
This inevitably leads to the question, can ceramic bakeware explode? And the simple answer is yes. However, the proportion of accidentally broken ceramic bakeware is actually tiny.
Why would ceramic bakeware explode?
The reason is actually straightforward, and it’s that the problem is typically a manufacturer’s defect. During its manufacture, the cookware becomes too humid.
Similarly, at 212°F, the water turns into steam. The pressure of the moisture and the fact that it cannot escape causes the fragments to explode. When the ceramic clay, which has hollow air pockets, contacts with the rapidly expanding water vapor, it might cause it to explode.
So bakeware that is not made correctly will have some residual air pockets, which may create the perfect environment for explosion when vapor and the heat in the oven combine.
But don’t be afraid. There are actually several ways to reduce the chance of debris exploding in the oven significantly.
Will the bakeware actually explode?
Research actually has proven that ceramic bakeware can withstand extreme temperature changes without breaking or exploding. Yes-unlike glassware, the pot will not crack or explode when exposed to extreme temperatures.
At what temperature does the ceramic actually crack?
Ceramic materials are resistant to a chemical reaction that is prevalent in other materials that come into contact with caustic environments. Similarly, they can generally withstand high temperatures of 1,000°C to 1,600°C (1,800°F to 3,000°F).
Why does ceramic get a bad rap?
In terms of cookware, most reports of cookware explosions mainly have a focus on ceramic.
Part of the reason is that, although sometimes popular in the United States, baked goods are difficult to crack due to thermal shock. Similarly, ceramic is a material, which is resistant to cracking under extreme temperature changes.
Is the ceramic suitable for cooking?
The most significant advantage of pottery is that these plates are beautiful! Besides you can eat food in the pan. However, silicone’s thermal conductivity is very low, and if cooked in these pans, baked goods will barely turn brown.
Is the ceramic cup oven-safe?
Most coffee cups are ceramic. Stone and porcelain utensils are generally safe to use in the oven unless decorative elements are on top after pressing the glaze and baking the coffee cup in the oven.
Pros and cons of Ceramic Cookware
- Application of non-stick coating
- The ceramic pots and pans are not real ceramic, but metal with a sol-gel coating on the pot’s rest. The sol-gel is a type of silicone oil that is dripping on the cookware’s surface and leaks out during actual use.
- This silicone oil is actually released every time you cook to provide a non-stick cooking surface, and you don’t need to use unhealthy cooking spray, butter, or oil to prevent food from sticking when it starts. (Note: when the silicone layer deteriorates, the ceramic cookware will lose its non-stickiness)
- Easy to clean
- Ceramic cookware is a breeze to clean. It is recommended to wash your hands. Usually, it is sufficient to clean it with a small amount of mild dish soap, warm water, paper towels, or a cloth.
- Low heat dissipation efficiency
- Ceramic cookware provides a non-stick surface by applying a silicone-based coating of nanoparticles to the pan’s surface. This also means that the food is not easy to stick, but it will not be heated where it does not touch the cooking surface. As a result, ceramic-coated pans cannot be heated quickly and evenly.
- Low durability structure
- Compared to any other types of cookware, such as stainless steel, PTFE-based non-stick pans, and cast iron pans, non-stick pans have a concise shelf life. Also, you can get high-quality ceramic coated cookware for a high price, but most ceramic cookware is not coated and warps easily.
How to determine if the ceramics are safe?
Look at the bottom of the bowl.
Oven-resistant cutlery has a “suitable for oven” symbol or an oven image at the bottom. If you see wavy lines and the temperature is below 300 degrees Fahrenheit, you can keep the bowl warm in a cold oven, but not when cooking food.
Are stone utensils suitable for cooking?
Traditional appliances can be safely used in conventional ovens, convection ovens, and microwave ovens. These versatile dishes can bake everything from crispy pizzas to unfriendly bread to brown cookies.
Is it possible to bake a cake in a ceramic container?
If you have time to bake the cake, you can bake it in a ceramic pan. Most pans are made of aluminum or stainless steel, which significantly reduces heating compared to ceramic pans. If not, give the cake for another 5 minutes and double-check.
What causes a ceramic bowl to explode?
Using a grill or placing the bowl on the stove can cause an explosion. Before putting the bowl in the oven, make sure the bowl is at room temperature. For example, sudden temperature changes can directly damage the ceramic, for example, from a refrigerator to a preheated oven.
Is it possible to remove the ceramic bowl from the oven?
Before putting the bowl in the oven, make sure the bowl is at room temperature. For example, sudden temperature changes can directly damage the ceramic, for example, from a refrigerator to a preheated oven. Be careful when actually removing the bowl from the oven.
At some point, the actual stress overcomes the strength of the pot and the ceramic shatters. This can occur during use or suddenly “explode” when placed in the microwave. However, this is a rare situation. Many people have been using ceramic cookware for over 20 years and have never had any accidents.
- A Guide On The Best Pots And Pans For Gas Stove In 2021
- What Is The Best Oven For Baking And Grilling In 2021
- Top 10 Best Toaster Oven Air Fryer Made In USA Of 2021
Here you will find a collection of delicious all recipes tested and approved by me, Nazmin Sarker, creator of this food blog. Cooking is my passion so please follow along and share what I create!
Last update on 2021-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API