Last Updated on January 16, 2021 by Nazmin Sarker
Risotto Balls Recipe
The Italian name for this dish translates as ‘telephone wires’ which refers to the strings of melted Mozzarella cheese, arborio rice, garlic, and herbs, breaded and fried until golden brown, the surprise contained within the mushroom risotto balls.
You can check the price view on amazon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ red (bell) pepper, diced
- 150 g/5 oz/¾ cup arborio (risotto) rice, washed
- 1 tsp dried orange
- 400 ml/14 fl oz/1 2/3 cup hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 100 ml/3 ½ fl oz/½ scant cup dry white wine
- 75 g/2 ¾ oz Mozzarella cheese oil, for deep frying fresh basil sprig, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan (skillet) and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until just softened.
- Add the (bell) pepper, rice, and oregano to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to coat the rice in the oil.
- Mix the stock together with the wine and add to the pan a ladleful at a time, waiting for the liquid to be absorbed by the rice before you add the next ladleful of liquid.
- Once all of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender (it should take about 15 minutes in total), remove the pan from the heat and leave until the mixture is cool enough to handle.
- Cut the cheese into 12 pieces. Taking about a tablespoon of risotto, shape the mixture around the cheese pieces to make 12 balls.
- Heat the oil until a piece of bread browns in 30 seconds. Cook the risotto balls in batches of 4 for 2 minutes until golden.
- Remove the risotto balls with a perforated spoon and drain thoroughly on absorbent kitchen paper. Garnish with a sprig of basil and serve hot.
Although Mozzarella is the traditional cheese for this recipe and creates the stringy ‘telephone wire’ effect, other cheeses, such as Cheddar may be used if you prefer.
Risotto Alla Milanese
- Begin 45 minutes ahead
- 6 servings
- 272 cals per serving
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1½ cups regular long-grain rice
- 2 13¾-ounce cans chicken broth, heated
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron, pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 3-quart air fryer toaster oven–safe saucepan over medium heat, in hot butter, cook onion until golden.
- Add rice, stirring until butter is absorbed. Preheat oven to 350’F.
- Stir in broth, salt, saffron, and pepper and heat, stirring, to boiling. Bake 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until well blended. Serve in a heated dish as the first course or as an accompaniment to veal.
Types of Rice
Regular White Rice: Milled to remove the outer coating of bran and sometimes polished; available as long-medium-or short-grain. Long-grain rice is best in curries, stews, salads, and main dishes. Medium-and short-grain rice is preferred for puddings and rice rings. Maybe nutrient-enriched; check the label. One cup uncooked regular rice yields about 3 cups cooked.
Precooked Rice: Fully cooked and dehydrated, milled, long-grain rice with short preparation time. Follow label directions for preparation and yield.
Parboiled Rice: A long-grain rice subjected to a special process before milling so it retains vitamins and minerals. It requires slightly longer cooking than regular rice. One cup uncooked parboiled rice yields about 4 cups cooked.
Brown Rice: Unmilled so grains retain most of their consumer reports food processor’s value. Brown absorbs more liquid and takes longer to cook than white rice. Nutty in flavor. One cup of uncooked brown rice yields about 4 cups cooked.
Wild Rice: Not a bowl of true rice but served as an accompaniment like rice. Cook as label directs. One cup uncooked wild rice yields about 3 cups cooked.
Cheese Balls Recipe
- Prep time:15 mins
- Cook time:30 mins
- Total time:45 mins
- Cheese balls – the ever-popular finger food serves as a perfect party snack. This easy cheese balls recipe will turn you into a savvy Cheese-Balls-Recipehostess in under 30 minutes! Just put together the right ingredients and you are ready to delight your guests with homemade cheese balls.
Less oily, more crispy, and a tad bit healthier (assuming you’d use better quality oil for frying. I am writing 2 cheese balls recipes for you – one is with and the other is an eggless recipe.
- Barring oil, mix all other ingredients in a large bowl and make a fluffy batter. Set aside for 15-20 mins in a cool place.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and slowly put spoon fulls of the batter into the oil. After a while, lower the flame from high to medium.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Your delicious cheese balls are ready!
- Method for eggless cheese balls recipe
- In a bowl mix together cheese, onions, green chilies, coriander leaves, pepper, and salt.
- Cut the sides of the bread so that only the soft part remains.
- Flatten each bread slice with a rolling pin.
- Before you start making the cheese balls, apply little water on both sides of each bread slice.
- Place a heaped tbsp of the cheese mixture in the center of the bread.
- Gather sides and shape it into a ball.
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices and cheese mixture.
- Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown on both sides.
- Serve cheese balls with tomato ketchup or Szechuan sauce.