Last Updated on January 20, 2021 by Nazmin Sarker
Italian Fried Mozzarella Sandwich Recipe
These deep-fried Mozzarella sandwiches are a tasty snack at any time of the day or serve smaller triangles as an antipasto with drinks.
Try to set out your ingredients just previously you start: It’ll help step by step the process go more smoothly. (Please visit blender food processor combo)
- 8 slices bread, preferably slightly stale, crusts removed
- 100 g/3 ½ oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced thickly
- 8 canned anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 50 g/1 ¾ oz black olives, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 150 ml/5 fl oz/ 2/3 cup milk oil, for deep-frying
- salt and pepper
- Cut each slice of bread into 2 triangles. Top 8 of the bread triangles with the Mozzarella slices and chopped anchovies.
- Place the basil leaves and olives on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the other 8 triangles of bread over the top and press down around the edges to seal.
- Mix the eggs and milk and pour into an ovenproof dish. Add the sandwiches and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan to 180′-190’C/ 350′-375’F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Before cooking the sandwiches, squeeze the edges together again.
- Carefully place the sandwiches in the oil and deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Remove the sandwiches with a perforated spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Serve immediately while still hot.
If you prefer, try adding a peeled prawn (shrimp) to each triangle. For smaller sandwiches, cut the bread into 4 triangles.
- Begin 40 mins ahead
- 6 servings
- 445 cals per serving
- Low in cholesterol
- Good source of calcium, iron, vitamin A
- 1 long loaf Italian bread with sesame seed
- 1 16-ounce package mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup olives for salad
- 1½ teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 400’F. Cut Italian bread crosswise into 1-inch slices, being careful not to cut through the bottom crust. Cut mozzarella cheese into ¼-inch slices.
- Place bread on the cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is heated through. Sprinkle loaf with oregano. With a sharp knife, divide the loaf into slices by cutting through the bottom crust. Serve Mozzarella loaf immediately.
Italian Hero Sandwiches
- Begin 45 mins ahead
- 4 sandwiches
- 733 cals each
- Good source of calcium, iron, vitamin C
- 12 sweet Italian sausages
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 medium onions
- 5 green or red peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive or salad oil
- 4-5-inch-long hard rolls
- In 12-inch skillet, place sausages; add water. Cover; simmer 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking about 15 minutes longer or until sausages are browned, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut onions into thin slices; cut peppers into ½-inch strips. In hot oil, in another 12-inch skillet, saute onions until just limp. Add peppers and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until peppers are tender, about 10 minutes. Add cooked sausages.
- Split hard rolls in half lengthwise. Layer the bottom of each roll with some of the pepper and onion mixture and 3 of the sausages, then add the top part of the roll.
To serve: Cut each roll crosswise into halves for easier eating.