Italian Fried Mozzarella Sandwich Recipe
These deep-fried Mozzarella sandwiches are a tasty snack at any time of the day or serve smaller triangles as an antipasto with drinks.
Try to set out your ingredients just previously you start:
It’ll help step by step the process go more smoothly.
I recommended for you blender food processor
- 8 slices bread, preferably slightly stale, crusts removed
- 100 g/3 ½ oz Mozzarella cheese, sliced thickly
- 8 canned anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 50 g/1 ¾ oz black olives, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 150 ml/5 floz/ 2/3 cup milk oil, for deep-frying
- salt and pepper
- Cut each slice of bread into 2 triangles. Top 8 of the bread triangles with the Mozzarella slices and chopped anchovies.
- Place the basil leaves and olives on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the other 8 triangles of bread over the top and press down around the edges to seal.
- Mix the eggs and milk and pour into an ovenproof dish. Add the sandwiches and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan to 180′-190’C/ 350′-375’F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Before cooking the sandwiches, squeeze the edges together again.
- Carefully place the sandwiches in the oil and deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Remove the sandwiches with a perforated spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Serve immediately while still hot.
If you prefer, try adding a peeled prawn (shrimp) to each triangle. For smaller sandwiches, cut the bread into 4 triangles.