Brown Lentil Soup Recipe With Pasta2020-03-10
- Yield: Soup
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 0m
- Cook Time: 0m
- Ready In: 0m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
Brown Lentil Soup
In Italy, this soup is called Minestrade Lentiche. A minestra is a soup cooked with pasta; in this case, farfalle, a small bow-shaped variety, is used. Served with lentils, this hearty brown lentil soup is a meal in itself.
You can buy amazon product now: Daniel’s lentil and brown rice soup
This soup is okay to eat a Daniel Fast diet. Each of the soups has only whole grains, no sugar, no animal products and zip artificial making them vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 50 g/ 1 ¾ oz/ ¼ cup farfalline or spaghetti broken into small pieces
- 1 X 420 g/ 14 ½ oz can brown lentils, drained
- 1.2 litres/ 2 pints// 5 cups hot ham or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh mint
Place the bacon in a large frying pan (skillet) together with the onions, garlic, and celery. Dry fry for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until the onion is tender and the bacon is just beginning to brown.
Add the farfalle or spaghetti pieces to the pan (skillet) and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute to coat the pasta in the oil.
Add the lentils and the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
Remove the pan (skillet) from the heat and stir in the chopped fresh mint.
Transfer the soup to warm soup bowls and serve immediately.
- If you prefer to use dried lentils, add the stock before the pasta and cook for 1-1 ¼ hours until the lentils are tender.
- Add the pasta and cook for a further 12-15 minutes.
Any type of pasta can be used in this recipe, try fusilli, conchiglie or rigatoni, if you prefer.