Italy Vegetable Soup With Cannelini Beans
This wonderful combination of beans, vegetables, and vermicelli is make even richer in the addition of pesto and dried mushrooms. (See details vegetable soups)
Check Price on Amazon Product
- 1 small aubergine (eggplant)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 potato, peeled
- 1 leek
- 420 g/ 14 Â½ oz can cannellini beans
- 850 ml/ 1 Â½ pints/3 Â¾ cups hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 10 g/Â½ oz dried porcini mushrooms, soaked for 10 minutes in enough warm water to cover
- 50 g/ 1 Â¾ oz/Â¼ cup vermicelli
- 3 tbsp pesto freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Slice the aubergine (eggplant) into rings about 10 mm/Â½ inch thick, then cut each ring into 4.
- Cut the tomatoes and potato into small dice. Cut the carrot into sticks, about 2.5 cm/1 inches long and cut the leek into rings.
- Place the cannellini beans and their liquid in a large saucepan. Add the aubergine (eggplant), tomatoes, potatoes, carrot, and leek, stirring to mix.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the basil, dried mushrooms, their soaking liquid, and the vermicelli and simmer for 5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pesto.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Porcini are a wild mushroom increase in southern Italy.
- Dry dehydrated because they have a very strong odor they have to add flavorful soup to buy only small amounts of the most expensive.