Last Updated on January 15, 2021 by Nazmin Sarker
Italian Green Bean Soup
This wonderful combination of green bean soup, vegetables, and vermicelli is made even richer with the addition of pesto and dried mushrooms.
Check Price on Amazon Product
- 1 small aubergine (eggplant)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 potato, peeled
- 1 leek
- 420 g/ 14 ½ oz can cannellini beans
- 850 ml/ 1 ½ pints/3 ¾ cups hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 10 g/½ oz dried porcini mushrooms, soaked for 10 minutes in enough warm water to cover
- 50 g/ 1 ¾ oz/¼ cup vermicelli
- 3 tbsp pesto freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Slice the aubergine (eggplant) into rings about 10 mm/½ inch thick, then cut each ring into 4.
- Cut the tomatoes and potato into small dice. Cut the carrot into sticks, about 2.5 cm/1 inches long and cut the leek into rings.
- Place the cannellini beans and their liquid in a large saucepan. Add the aubergine (eggplant), tomatoes, potatoes, carrot, and leek, stirring to mix.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the basil, dried mushrooms, their soaking liquid, and the vermicelli and simmer for 5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pesto.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Porcini are a wild mushroom increase in southern Italy.
- Dry dehydrated because they have a very strong odor they have to add flavorful soup to buy only small amounts of the most expensive.
- Serves 4
- 450 g (1 lb) fresh green beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) tomato puree
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) allspice
- salt and pepper
- Top and tail beans. If very long, break into halves or quarters. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft and transparent.
- Add tomato puree and beans, stir to coat well, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomato spices, salt, pepper, and water to cover. Simmer slowly until soft, but not mushy.
- This dish can be served hot or cold.
- Begin 35 minutes ahead
- 6 accompaniment servings
- 100 cals per serving
- high protein low cholesterol foods
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- In 2-quart casserole or bowl, place butter or margarine; cover with casserole lid or large plate.
- Cook at high (100% power) 1 minute or until butter melts.
- Add green beans, potatoes, water, salt, and sage.
- Cover casserole and cook at high 12 to 14 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until beans and potatoes are tender.
Make cooked vegetables “amandine” by topping with toasted almonds. Place 2 tablespoons sliced almonds in a 10-ounce custard cup. Cook, uncovered, at high (100% power) 3 minutes or until browned, stirring once after 1 ½ minute. Add to vegetables.
(See details Indian vegetable soup recipe)
You can follow like this Youtube video